Ugly Cabinets? Perk ‘Em Up With a Fresh Coat of Paint
Do you cringe when you walk into your kitchen and see your outdated, even ugly cabinets?
Cabinetry is not cheap, especially if you’re looking to update an entire kitchen. And if your cabinets are of good quality, why replace them when a great paint job could completely redefine the room?
When trying to decide what to do with your cabinets, your local paint contractor will be able to tell you if a few coats of paint will magically make all of your cabinetry problems disappear. He’ll also be the first to tell you that cheap, sagging, peeling or chipping cabinets will still be all those things after he paints … they’ll just be saggy in a different color.
You can certainly tackle the project yourself … just prepare for the reality: It’s messy, hard work! In the end, you’ll be glad you did it … but you may not believe that while you’re in the middle of the mess!
To make the project go a little more smoothly, here are some quick tips to help you get started:
- Carefully select the right primer and paint for your type of cabinetry
- Prep the room carefully to protect appliances (be thorough – you’ll thank yourself when it’s time to clean up)
- Tuck the hardware in a safe place so you don’t lose pieces (never try topaintaround handles and knobs!)
- If replacing hardware, make sure you buy the same type so the holes match up
- Remove the drawers and doors (never try to paint themwhile in place)
- Use non-shrinking putty to fill holes
- Gloss paint offers the best protection
- For latex-based paint, use a synthetic brush
- For oil-based paint, use a natural bristle brush
- Apply at least 2 coats, waiting ample time between them
If the entire process seems a bit overwhelming and time consuming, you may find it’s worth a little extra to hire professionals. Typically, a pro can finish a project like this in a fraction of the time it takes to do it your self.
Painting outdated cabinets is considerably less expensive than replacing them. Not only will you save money, but you’ll also find that freshly painted cabinets will liven up the entire room.